In our article last week, titled “Are student restrictions coming to minority schools?”, we reported that inspectors from the Ministry of National Education had visited Armenian schools and were conducting investigations concerning students from Armenia. As part of the inspections, we reported that inspectors had told school principals that they could no longer accept guest students and that students already enrolled should be transferred to public or private schools. The inspectors had also requested information from school principals regarding the fate of students from Armenia who had received their education 10 years ago. According to information we have obtained, the inspections are not limited to Armenian schools or students from Armenia; Greek and Jewish schools are also included in the inspections.
MAZLUMDER’s General Headquarters, which is a civil society organization defending human rights, issued a statement to Agos regarding the matter, saying: “Our main concern when addressing this issue was that students who had attended Armenian minority schools could not receive diplomas and could not continue on to high school. However, at least they had the opportunity to attend school, even if only as guest students, and subsequently continue their high school education in Armenia. With the latest development, we are now facing the danger that even this opportunity will be taken away from these children.”
Education Commission meets
Following the developments, the Armenian Foundations Union (ERVAB) Education Commission discussed the issue at a meeting held on Monday evening, August 17. Some school principals and representatives of school founders attended the meeting, held at the Gomidas Hall of the Yedikule Surp Pırgiç Hospital. In addition to the situation of students from Armenia, the meeting addressed curriculum work for Armenian language and religion classes, the situation of individuals with special needs, and teachers’ social security status. Senior Priest Dırtad Uzunyan, who attended the meeting, shared information about the religion curriculum and the process concerning this issue. Representatives of Huys Association, established within the Armenian community of Turkey to benefit individuals with special needs, also attended the meeting. Association representatives described the difficulties they encountered during the student enrollment period and stated that a more sensitive and inclusive approach should be adopted during this process. The association’s management said that they were preparing to support schools by employing a special educator within their organization and requested financial support from ERVAB for this purpose. The new Armenian-language curriculum requested by the Ministry of National Education was also discussed, and participants were informed about the work being carried out in this area and the stage reached. The social security and insurance status of teachers working at more than one school was also among the issues discussed at the meeting.
Foundation heads to meet
In a written statement issued after the meeting, regarding the situation of guest students, it was said: “In the meeting, the enrollment status of children from Armenia at our schools was discussed, and the opinions and assessments of the participants on the matter were received.”
According to information we have obtained, school principals do not yet know the reason for the inspection. The schools will wait for the inspectors to complete their investigations. It was also stated that a meeting at the level of foundation heads could be held at ERVAB next week. In this context, it is expected that the foundation heads or the Armenian Patriarchate of Turkey will contact the Ministry of National Education. It was stated that Patriarch Maşalyan and AKP Member of Parliament Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sevan Sıvacıoğlu may also attend the meeting.
Statement from DMM
The Center for Combating Disinformation (DMM), affiliated with the Directorate of Communications, an official body, also issued a statement regarding the repercussions of our report on the practice of accepting guest students at minority schools. The statement reads: “Posts on some social media accounts and in the press that create the impression that ‘minority schools are specifically being targeted with various restrictions’ contain disinformation and target social peace and unity. No new practice is being introduced concerning these schools beyond the provisions stipulated in the relevant law; schools continue their educational activities. The public is strongly urged not to give credence to unfounded claims and manipulative content.”
2012 regulation
The Ministry of National Education Regulation on Private Educational Institutions was published in the Official Gazette dated March 20, 2012. The regulation included the following provision: “Foreign-national guest students may also receive education at schools, considering the institution’s capacity; however, diplomas cannot be issued to these students. Those leaving the school shall be given a document issued by the school administration indicating the courses they attended and the grades they received.”
Taking this provision into account, Armenian schools have been accepting students from Armenia for approximately 14 years. However, diplomas could not be issued to these students.
During the past academic year, approximately 50 students from Armenia were receiving education at Armenian schools. The fact that students from Armenia have been studying at Armenian schools for 14 years also provides an opportunity for dialogue to be established between Armenians from Turkey and students from Armenia.




